Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Pueblo

Dear Beloved Parents,

Happy Anniversary!!! This is definitely a time for me to celebrate as well! I love you both so much and am so glad that we're sealed together for eternity! I hope you're having a wonderful trip. I love hearing about the happy times that you're having and how you're learning and growing.

Guess what? Tomorrow I'm being transferred to PUEBLO with Elder Oakes! It sure seems like I'm moving around a lot, but I don't mind. This last transfer seems to have gone by 2 or 3 times faster than the first one!

Anyways, lately I've felt impressed to get a journal to use for recording impressions, ideas, and applications that come to mind while I study and ponder the Book of Mormon. So yesterday I got one and this morning I started it with 1 Nephi chapter 1! One thing that came to mind as I was studying was that I felt impressed to do better at following President Eyering's counsel to "remember how merciful the Lord hath been" on a daily basis. I had a great habit of doing that before when Mom encouraged me to, but I need to start doing that again. It's definitely an important element to a journal entry.

Mission experience of the week:On Sunday night we felt very blessed. After a wonderful day at church we attended an 8 yr. old baptismal service where we met a couple of nonmembers, and gave them our number. We know that they felt the Spirit, so we're excited to meet with them later. After that we hit the bikes and were able to teach a couple of lessons on the street. Then we finally were able contact the Brianna's mother, who we've tried to contact for some time. Brianna wants to get baptized, and her mom expressed her concern that Brianna should really know what she's getting into before committing to it. Her mom also agreed to read the Book of Mormon to find out about it herself!

Colorado missionary work is a lot different than Utah missionary work. At home it was a battle for the importance of religion. Here it is a battle for the correctness of religion. We've experience a lot of difference of interpretation and religious belief (and anti-mormonism), and we have to learn to stand our ground. It's hard to see a lot of really genuine people who want to do what's right, but are led astray and kept from the truth because of their current beliefs. It's a great experience for me though! I've had a chance to view and ponder our doctrines in a whole different light. Things like the great apostasy, continuous revelation, priesthood authority, and our potential to become like God have all taken on a whole new meaning for me as they stand in contrast to the views of the world. One day a lady, who we tracted into one day, called us up and agreed to hear more about the Book of Mormon, but she said that she wanted us to watch a video about it first. We try to be open to hear others' points of view to offer to same respect and time that we're asking for, so we agreed. Boy was it an anti-mormon movie! We then do our best to resolve their concerns and bare our testimonies, but at some point we just need to move on.

My thought for the week is to remember the importance of sacrifice. We don't need to worry about being up to date in the ways of the world. We don't have to see every movie or going to every party; just do what is right and don't waste your time with things of no worth. The Lord also teaches us to not run faster than we have strength. Focus on what's most important, and always strive to follow the promptings of the Spirit in EVERYTHING you do. The yoke of a disciple of Jesus Christ is easy and light. Be anxiously engaged in a good cause, then trust in the Lord.

I love you all! Have a great week!


Sincerely,
Elder Craft

No comments: