Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year!

Dear Family,

I am so grateful for a new year! We were talking about it at church a lot, and it's really just another day, but it affords a great opportunity for a fresh start. It's a wonderful chance to take past goals or wishes and make them commitments. That's one thing that I've really tried to apply this new year: to raise my standard for certain things from goals to commitments. Of course it can only be done with something that you have full control over, but if you can help it, why not make it a commitment? For the things that really matter, is there ever a good excuse not to do them? That something I used to apply pretty good, but for some reason haven't kept with it as much as I should have. In my short 20 years of existence I've just found it to be so much easier to give 100% rather than 80 or 90. Anytime we give room for excuse, the devil gets in there and pulls you down one tired or busy day at a time. But if we make a steadfast decision ahead of time to be committed no matter what, we don't have to worry about making the decision in the trying moment, but we can focus all efforts on just making it happen--transforming the decision into action. Only then can we really have control of our lives. Only then can we guarantee success with the pass of time. Anyways, I don't know if any of that made sense, but it's something I've been thinking about a lot lately.

I don't have a whole lot of new things to report on, but I just want to say that I love you. I know without a doubt that gospel living is the path of happiness. There is no challenge or concern that can't be solved with the gospel. We are so blessed to live at this wonderful time in the history of the world--the opportunities to learn, grow, and serve at so incredibly great. I know that we are here at this time for a reason. God lives and loves us. He needs righteous leaders like never before. As members of His true church, we are the most blessed people on this earth. We are few in number, but we have an enormous responsibility to "stand as witnesses of God at all times, in all things, and in all places." That we may all go forth with courage, determination, obedience, humility, charity, and faith during this new year is my hope and prayer. I know that God is ever-mindful of us in ways that we can't even comprehend. He knows what's best for us and is always eager to help us if we turn to Him. I love the Lord, and I love all of you. Make this year legendary!

Love,
Elder Craft

No comments: