Monday, June 22, 2009

Chiropractors & Schedules

Dear Family,
How are all of you? I sure do love all of you very much!

Dad, thank you so much for the email. The words of wisdom are very helpful and inspiring! I love you so much and hope you had a great Father's Day! It stinks that I couldn't call you :(

Mom, thank you for your letters and support. I love you so much! How is your calling going?

Anyways, how much does it cost to get an adjustment at the chiropractor? Because I get them for free. There is a member who does it for the missionaries. In fact, the very first day I got out here, he brought me into this chiropractor's office for the first time in my life, and laid me on this moving bed while this stranger started twisting my body in weird ways while cracking joints I didn't even know I had! Needless to say it was a traumatizing experience. :PI eventually got over it and he's a really nice guy! :) Right now we're trying to convince his secretary to take the lessons :)

I decided to create a recommended reading list for all of you: In the March 2009 Ensign: the article about family general conference prep and the article about learning to share the gospel. In I think the June Ensign: the article "Our refined heavenly home"


Random thoughts: I'm not sure if you have access to them, but if you could get a hold of the Preach My Gospel DVD's, that would be a great mission prep tool for the boys and for you guys.

In the MTC, while reading the scriptures as a class, we would stop after every column to discuss. It really helped us pay attention and think about it more. It also made it more meaningful, so I think that could be a great practice for family scripture reading.

In my martial arts class at BYU, my teacher said that the two highest levels of learning are: teaching and application. Those ideas have come to be very meaningful for me in gospel study. I think that as you study the scriptures, talks, or anything, take time to do both of those things. Either really talk to someone, write it down, or just do it in your head, but make sure you do it! Think of SPECIFIC goals you could set as a result of what you've learned. Also, figure out how you could share that principle in your own words with someone else.

In the MTC we all progressed a lot! It was a very effective learning experience. In the mission field, we continue to be effective and successful, and I've realized that it is because of our organized lives. We have a schedule. We spend time every night to plan the next day (trying to have something meaningful done every hour of the day). We have a set study, exercise, sleeping, and cleaning schedule, and we stick to it! We have many routines as missionaries in the MTC and in the field, and that allows us to make the most of our time. The same is true with Church. No one misses it because its routine is set in stone. The youth have an amazing experience at EFY, and it's because of the order with which everything is done. I think the same care should be given to our daily lives and with our families. God's home, mind, family, church, and life is one of order.

I need to go, but I love you all! Have a great week!

No comments: